Rome 19/9/17




19/9/17 Tuesday
Day 46

To Rome 20 km

Sun and clouds

0630 Departure from the convent.
Find our way to Monte Mario using Sloways.
The first vista towards the Vatican is exhilarating and calls for a Quiet Moment.
The sun is rising over the city.
The park itself is unmaintained: graffiti, weeds, damaged paths and signs.

We step on, feeling a lightness of spirit as we reach St Peter's Square.
Of course I feel triumphant; this is Rome. I am here. I have walked a very long way-mostly alone.
I am awash with a feeling of warmth and peace which I recognise simply, as, gratitude.
The morning is bathed in a mellow glow as we sit on the ground in the square quite unfazed by the frenetic activity of tourists amassing.

We make our way towards the police guard, wishing to collect my reserved ticket to the Papal Audience the next day. I am met with brash rudeness and not allowed to pass through. I then approach the Swiss Guards who shake their heads at the arrogance of the police and suggest trying again when there's a change of staff.
The second attempt is successful; by chance I meet the Brits who have had the same experience with impatient officials. There's no recognition at all of the Via Francigena pilgrimage. Once through into the Vatican, there's a sense of unease because of the level of security.
The certificate is stamped and handed to me with just a fleeting upwards glance from Mr Vatican Official.

There's a convent along the river which is famous for its authenticity. Run by nuns, it is welcoming, traditional and even has a foot-bathing ceremony for pilgrims. This is where my Danish friend and I head.
It's closed.
Plumbing Problems.
I'm not surprised.
There's another Ostello but the phone isn't answering. And another which is closed also (I wonder why?)

After some searching and more mileage on foot, we find a reasonably priced hotel in close proximity to St Peter's.

Soon I will need to think; in a space alone and unhurried.

10 Breakfast
15 Lunch
28 Dinner
64 Hotel (shared room)







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to Left then Right: Via Francigena pilgrimage in Italy. Buon Cammino.