Sutri to Campagnano di Roma 16/9/17

16/9/17 Saturday
Day 43

Sutri- Campagnano di Roma 24+ km

Cloudy, still warm, no rain

I begin by taking the wrong way out of Sutri, so return and then walk deep into a municipal park where the remains of the ancient town are to be found. The day is suitably gloomy as I creep through ancient tombs and living quarters (and somehow I miss the amphitheatre).
I take a road out of the town which is marked but in conflict with Cicerone's directions, and because it is so frantically busy with traffic, I assume I must be on the wrong route, so I retrace my steps only to find that narrow, menacing road littered with refuse is indeed the road I must take.

There follows an emotional melt-down: I'm fed-up with ignorant drivers, sick of neglected animals, frustrated with piles of rubbish and shitty signage.

Walk on past hazelnut trees, untidy fields, a golf course and two pilgrims in a hurry.
I encounter two sheepdogs which I am sure are not lunging at me in play fight mood; again my walking pole is used in defense.
I had considered staying at Monterosi but as I pass through the dreary place, am very motivated to continue.

I am sweaty, tired and thirsty and have seen nothing pleasant.
Monte Gelato and the Gelato Falls provide some reprieve for my low mood.
The Regionale Park is endless walking through weeds and pollution.

I arrive at my destination; have again miscalculated my time estimation by two hours. I incidentally meet up with Pilgrim-Denmark who saves the day by finding a cute Ostello with resident tomato plants and clucking hens. My friend cooks the best meal for the two of us; we are the only guests.

The Italian drivers really are not so bad, I will pat and comfort every sick and ailing animal I meet, the rubbish will be collected eventually and the signs- well, they're correct every time.

20 Accommodation
9 Supplies for dinner








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rome 19/9/17

Welcome to Left then Right: Via Francigena pilgrimage in Italy. Buon Cammino.