Bolsena 11/9/17

11/9/17 Monday
Bolsena
Rest Day

I'm offered a second night in the Ostello and when I indicate to the caretaker I will be staying at the hotel, she seems perplexed as to how a pilgrim can possibly afford to upgrade.
So, I guiltily make the transition from tramp to tourist and arrive at the hotel in time for a banquet breakfast. I try very hard to conceal my greed and delight.
In my hotel room there are soaps and sheets, fragrant towels and a fresh toilet. And most impressive of all: Space and Privacy. Oh the grandeur of the hotel lobby!
I exhale and exhale some more.
I walk along the lake where only a few people are. The cool, the quiet are so restorative.
There are avenues of autumnal trees and mansions standing old and proud behind gated entrances.
Along with many German tourists, I marvel at the authentic alleys so well preserved. Walk to the castle. Potted geraniums and pottery for sale.

Corpus Christi: A doubting priest who was celebrating mass was stupefied when blood gushed (per Cicerone) from the Eucharist. With some serendipity, a pope in the congregation witnessed this miracle and could vouch for its credibility.

Saint Christina who was born in Bolsena, was drowned by her father after she converted to Christianity. A stone resurfaced with the imprint of her feet.

10 Breakfast feast
62 Accommodation Hotel Columbus
7 Fruit
4 Pharmacy
4 Supplies





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rome 19/9/17

Welcome to Left then Right: Via Francigena pilgrimage in Italy. Buon Cammino.